12 Theories to Know for Game of Thrones Season 8
Now thatGame of Thronesseason seven is over it's time to start thinking about season eight, which rumor and logic indicate won't premiere until 2019. What to do till then? Brush up on your other George R.R. Martin works, of course, but then start theorizing. Here, a list of the most important theories and predictions to think about while you wait forGame of Thronesto return.
1. Bran is the Night King.Bran has always been kind of the worst, but he's even more the worst now that he's omniscient. He's definitely the Three-Eyed Raven, but is he also the Night King? This Redditor has a more detailed explanation, but the gist is that Bran keeps going back in time throughout history to stop the Night King and eventually got stuck inside him. For what it's worth, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, who plays Bran, doesn't buy this theory. "I think it’s less that they’re the same person and more that they’re two of the ancient beings of Westeros," he toldVultureafter the finale. "Perhaps we can think of it as these are two characters with a huge amount of power, but one is a Frankenstein’s monster who is driven by nothing but hatred and violence. Then there’s Bran, who uses his powers for good." (It's also worth noting that Isaac had not seen scripts for season eight when he said this.)
2. Daenerys is pregnant with Jon's baby.Back in season one, Mirri Maz Duur told Daenerys that she's barren, but as Jon Snow pointed out in "The Dragon and the Wolf," Mirri isn't exactly a reliable source. Season seven included much discussion of the fact that Daenerys is supposedly the "last" Targaryen and her dragons are the only children she'll ever have, which all feels like the perfect setup for a surprise pregnancy. Add to that the fact that Ser Jorah told Jon to keep the ancestral Mormont sword Longclaw for his children, and the foreshadowing for a Daenerys/Jon baby is all there.
3. Cersei is pregnant with Euron's baby.The only man Cersei slept with on screen in season seven was Jaime, but there's no reason to believe he's the only person she's been inviting to the royal bedchamber. The finale uncovered some off-screen dealings between Euron and Cersei — she collaborated with him on his "go home but really go get the Golden Company" plan — so it's possible they've been collaborating elsewhere and for a while.
4. Jaime is going to kill Cersei.Season seven came and went without this much-discussed theory coming to pass (read more about it here), but the stage is now set for a final showdown between Jaime and his sister/lover. After she revealed her plans to sit around and let everyone else fight the Night King, Jaime left Cersei and their alleged unborn child and rode northward. If and when he and Cersei meet again, you can bet it won't be a happy reunion.
5. Arya is going to kill Cersei.This is basically the same as the "Jaime killing Cersei" theory, only in this scenario Arya kills Jaime to steal his face, then wears it so she can get close to Cersei and murder her. This would both fulfill Maggy the Frog's prophecyandallow Arya to cross another name off her list.
6. Tyrion is in love with Daenerys.During the finale's boat sex scene, many people wondered why Tyrion was lurking near the door of the room where Daenerys and Jon were consummating their incestuous love. One theory is that Tyrion has been falling in love with Daenerys for some time and is upset he has a rival. He was instrumental in sending Ser Jorah away for greyscale treatment, and also advised Daenerys to leave Daario behind in Essos because he wouldn't be the first or last man to love her. "The Dragon and the Wolf" director Jeremy Podeswa says Tyrion's look was purely a result of strategical worries, but keep dreaming, shippers.
7. Tyrion betrayed Daenerys.An alternative explanation for Tyrion's behavior on the ship is that he actually betrayed Daenerys while "convincing" Cersei to join the cause after her initial refusal. Or, if he hasn't betrayed heryet, he's thinking about it because this Jon romance throws a massive wrench into the whole operation.
8. Tyrion is a Targaryen.This one (read more about it here) is never not going to be a thing unless they do a flashback that shows Tywin Lannister specifically impregnating Joanna with Tyrion.
9. Melisandre's going to Volantis to get an army of red priests.When Melisandre peaced out of Dragonstone a few episodes back, she told Lord Varys that she was heading to Volantis but would return to Westeros because she's supposed to die there. According to one compelling theory, she's going to Volantis to pick up an army of R'hllor followers who like to set their swords on fire, and if all goes well, she'll bring them back to help Daenerys and Jon fight the Night King.
10. Nymeria will make another comeback.Arya recently encountered her long-missing direwolf for the first time since season one but let her continue wandering the forests because she's not meant to be a pet. Why bring the direwolf back at all, though? So when Nymeria and her pack of angry wolves appear again in season eight to save the day in some major battle it won't be so out of left field. (Then again, it costs money to animate the direwolves, so unless the dragons leave the picture, don't get your hopes up.)
11. Azor Ahai will be revealed."Who is Azor Ahai?" is a question so complex that you could devote an entire book to it, but current candidates include Jon, Daenerys, the Hound, , and Jaime Lannister. If the show doesn't answer this question in season eight, then you're officially allowed to skip any and all Melisandre scenes in future rewatches.
12. Cleganebowl.There was a bit of a tease for the long-anticipated fight between Sandor and Gregor Clegane in "The Dragon and the Wolf," but alas, nothing happened except for a stare-down. At this point, the fight seems less and less likely, but whatever. Get hype.
Video: 5 THEORIES SUR GAME OF THRONES (#12)
12 Amazing Benefits Of Queen’s Flower For Your Health
This Is How You Should Lose Weight, According to Your Body Type
5 New Fashion Subscription Services That Make Checking the Mail a Little MoreFun
How To Lighten Your Eyebrows With Bleach
How to Get Fit (for Kids)
Marc By Marc Jacobs SpringSummer 2015 Collection – New York Fashion Week
Pinko’s Top 10 Power Pieces
Why Marc Jacobs (And Other Stars) Accept Creative Director Roles at Brands Like DietCoke
17 Matching Mom And Daughter Spring Outfits
How to Sleep Better if You Have Epilepsy
Liam Hemsworth shares devastating photo of his and Miley Cyrus’ home after California wildfires
Drone footage shows the extremely tall Aizhai bridge in China